Hey TV gleeks! A lot happened this week in our TV world. But first, the news.
Juicy/sad news! Tim Daly won’t be returning to “Private Practice,” “Grey’s Anatomy” spin-off. Daly tweeted, “wonderful fans of PP, Shonda informed my agent today that Pete wont be returning for season 6. It was a great 5 yrs. R.I.P. Pete Wilder.”
Deadline reports, that Kate Walsh, the main star who plays Dr. Addison Montgomery might not be returning for a seventh season if the series is renewed. It was also speculated this week that season six was picked up for 13 episodes. So far the ABC hasn’t commented on these reports.
Tim Daly is not the only actor who fired by Shonda Rhimes this year, Chyler Leigh and Kim Raver, stars of “Grey’s Anatomy” were also let go this season.
Will you watch PP without Kate Walsh?
Who else is leaving “SNL?” Well, Andy Samberg is. Just two weeks after Kirsten Wiig graduated from “SNL” Andy Samberg confirmed he is leaving NBC’s sketch series. According to New York Times, Samberg said he would not return to the show next season. Samberg said, “it’s an incredibly emotional and strange moment in my life. Obviously it’s not a huge shock, but I did officially decide not to come back.” Andy Samberg, has been on “SNL” since 2005, and is best known for bringing viral digital shorts to the sketch show. Samberg along with his Lonely Island cohorts Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone created viral hits such as: “Lazy Sunday,” “I Just Had Sex,” “Motherlover,” and “D*ck in a Box” which featured Justin Timberlake. In case you haven’t seen the tearful goodbye of Kristin Wiig, click here.
More sad news. Kathryn Joosten, “Desperate Housewives” intrusive but loving neighbor, Karen McKluskey passed away Friday after batting lung cancer for years. She was 72. Joosten starred in “The West Wing,” “Scrubs,” “General Hospital” and more. During “Desperate Housewives” series finale which aired three weeks ago, Kathryn Joosten’s character Mrs. McKluskey died onscreen. I’m glad she got to wrap up the series with the other girls. RIP Kathryn Joosten.
Richard Dawson, the original host of TV’s “Family Feud,” passed away Saturday night. He was 79. Gary, Dawson’s son shared the news via Facebook, saying, “It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered.” RIP Richard Dawson.
In other TV news, “Nurse Jackie” was renewed for a fifth season last week.
It is not too early to mark your calendar for this event. The 55th annual Grammy Awards is set to air on Feb. 10 of 2013. The Grammy Nominations Concert is set to air live on CBS Dec. 5, 2012. “Music’s biggest night,” the Grammys will air live from L.A.’s Staples Center from 8-11:30 p.m. ET/PT.
TLC’s reality series “Toddles & Tiaras“ is getting a spin-off series. The series, “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” will follow Alana, a six-year-old pageant contestant as she and her family do things such as “off-road driving and eat road kill for dinner.” The reality series premieres in August.
“Boss” which stars Golden Globe winner Kelsey Grammer season two official trailer was released. In the Season 2 trailer of “Boss,” Mayor Tom Kane (Kelsey Grammer) returns to his duties as the mayor of Chicago despite his illness. The trailer features Sanaa Lathan, Tip Harris and more. Season 2 of “Boss” premieres Friday, August 17 at 9 p.m. ET on Starz.
More summer series are returning/premiering this week, check out list below
- “Secret Millionaire” (Season 3 premiere) airs Sun., June 3, 8 p.m. ET on ABC
- “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” (Season 2 premiere) airs Sun., June 3, 9 p.m. ET on ABC
- “Drop Dead Diva” (Season 4 premiere) airs Sun., June 3, 9 p.m. ET on Lifetime
- “The Glades” (Season 3 premiere) Sun, June 3, 9 p.m. ET on A&E
- “Longmire” (Series premiere) Sun., June 3, 10 p.m. ET on A&E
- “Teen Wolf” (two-part Season 2 premiere) Sun., June 3, 11 p.m. ET & Mon., June 4, 10 p.m. ET on MTV
- “Hell’s Kitchen” two-night (Season 10 premiere) Mon., June 4, 8 p.m. ET & Tues., June 5, 8 p.m. ET on Fox
- “MasterChef” (two-night Season 3 premiere) Mon., June 4, 9 p.m. ET & Tues., June 5, 9 p.m. ET on Fox
- “Push Girls” (series premiere) Mon., June 4, 10 p.m. ET on Sundance
- “Pretty Little Liars” (Season 3 premiere) Tues., June 5, 8 p.m. ET on ABC Family
- “Jane By Design” (Season 1 summer premiere) Tues., June 5, 9 p.m. ET on ABC Family
- “The Glee Project” (Season two premiere) will star “Glee” stars Naya Rivera, who plays Santana on the series, Cory Monteith, Lea Michele, and Samuel Larsen will appear as mentors on the Oxygen reality show. The sophomore season of “The Glee Project” kicks off on Tuesday, June 5 at 10 p.m. ET
- “Rizzoli & Isles” (Season 3 premiere) Tues., June 5, 9 p.m. ET on TNT
- “Franklin & Bash” (Season 2 premiere) Tues., June 5, 10 p.m. ET on TNT
- “Royal Pains” (Season 4 premiere) Wed., June 6, 9 p.m. ET on USA
- “Necessary Roughness” (Season 2 premiere) Wed., June 6, 10 p.m. ET on USA
- “Love in the Wild” (two-hour Season 2 premiere) Thurs., June 7, 8 p.m. ET on NBC
- “Saving Hope” (series premiere) Thurs., June 7, 10 p.m. ET on NBC
- “Comedy Bang! Bang!” (series premiere) Fri., June 8, 10 p.m. ET on IFC
- “Bunk” (series premiere) Fri., June 8, 10:30 p.m. ET on IFC
That’s it for this week folks! Have a great week.